Hack request: rational numbers

Pearu Peterson pearu at ioc.ee
Sun Jan 28 17:30:43 EST 2001

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Rainer Deyke wrote:

> "Moshe Zadka" <moshez at zadka.site.co.il> wrote in message
> news:mailman.980702855.389.python-list at python.org...
> >
> > "j" is very common to denote the square root of -1 in engineering since
> > "i" denotes current.

What is "current" in Python or in any other general purpose programming
language?
A: nonsense, I guess :-)

Note that even Matlab, that is widely used among engineers, uses "i" for
imaginary unit by default ("j" is an alias to "i").

> Why not add native quaternion support to Python?  Quaternions are complex
> numbers where the imaginary part is a vector in three dimensions, defined in
> terms of unit vectors i, j, and k.

That would be great, I think. Maybe in Py3K?

Though I suspect that there are still more engineers than
mathematicians/physists among Python users which makes the change
1,1j -> 1,1i,1j,1k very difficult, right?

Pearu