What does Python do

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Jan 22 11:42:50 EST 2001

In article <2F4DC6312B7FE9DA.74AB95EBEF3C09D4.1D6BDBE5660A1914 at lp.airnews.net>, Cameron Laird wrote:
>In article <LPUa6.4598$Yv.546853 at juliett.dax.net>,
>Dag Sunde <dag at orion.no> wrote:
>>I think Python is _very well suited as a
>>first language...
>			.
>			.
>			.
>I claim an even stronger proposition:  Python
>is the single best language for most beginners.
>Its applicability is as wide as *any* language
>(yes, including C and Java), and it's quite in-
>viting to first-timers.

There are some things for which C is still more applicable than
Python: low-level programming such as real-time embedded
systems and device drivers where C is used as a "portable
assembler".  OTOH, I don't consider C applicable for GUI
application development (Python is).

Since beginners aren't generally doing real-time embedded SW or
device drivers, I concur that Python is probably the best
language (of the ones I know) for a beginner.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. someone in DAYTON,
                                  at               Ohio is selling USED