why no "do : until"?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jan 4 00:43:06 EST 2001

Bjorn Pettersen wrote:

> That was hardly a forceful condemnation of "while 1" <wink>. Try
> suggesting on the list that you want something like:

[snip]

> and you'll have half a dozen people jumping on your back telling you that
> "while 1" is simple, intuitive, and is the only Pythonic way to do things
> (you'll have half a dozen other people trying to come up with some clever
> wrapper to solve the problem they think you have <wink>).

That's hardly being fair.  I just checked back on the entire thread up
to this point and, while I may have missed something, it doesn't appear
that _anyone_ suggested 'while 1' is either simple or intuitive.

Various people have said it is the _idiomatic_ way of expressing the
required structure in Python, but that's not the same as saying it's
"Pythonic", IMHO.  I think that term is generally reserved for something
without the trace of ugliness that many of us seem to agree is present
here.

Neither did I notice anyone jumping on anyone else's back for suggesting
alternatives to 'while 1', just people pointing out reasons those
suggestions likely won't be implemented (such as for indentation issues).

(Apologies in advance if calling you unfair seems to be an "ad hominem"
attack.  The nature of the medium tends to make comments intended as
merely sarcastic to appear much more personal than intended.
Allowances need to be made when interpreting intent.)