What makes Python Python (was: OO in Python (was Re: Migrating to perl?))

Joel Ricker joejava at dragonat.net
Sat Jan 6 18:30:15 EST 2001

Alex Martelli wrote in message <937q8r01q91 at news1.newsguy.com>...

>If _I_ 'designed' it that way, then, trust me, it _would_ be
>an unholy mess (and it seems to me that about 50% of the
>specific languages you list could be similarly described, but
>I'm not going to say WHICH 50% so nobody can accuse me
>of 'unprovoked' P*** bashing!-).  Which is what makes the
>strong self-consistency of Python notable (clearly, I think, it
>_wasn't_ JUST 'cherry-picking', despite many aspects having
>their parallels in other languages, some because of direct
>inspiration, some because of common roots, and others yet
>for independently developed similar solutions to similar issues).

Well since I've been P*** bashing myself quite a bit since I started up this
thread a few days ago, I think I should rectify myself and mention that the
original P*** had promise and did what the creator set out to do -- Thats
why its called Practical *xtraction *eport *anguage but has somehow lost its
way.

This is all I'm going to say on that for awhile.  Just in case I don't like
Python so much and have to go crawling back :)  I don't think that will
happen though.

Update:  I've hadn't had a great deal of time to read the tutorial so I'm
only up to Chapter 5: More on Lists.  So far I haven't had to scream once,
curse, or yell once at malfunctioning code.  Big improvement!

Joel