A single, general looping construct? (was: why no "do : until"?)

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Tue Jan 2 04:26:19 EST 2001

In article <92qc21$538$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <rturpin at my-deja.com> wrote:
>A couple of decades ago, when the programming journals
>were full of arguments about the "right" control
>statements for structured programming, someone proposed
>a single iteration statement that generalized (a) the
>"while" statement, (b) the "do .. until" statement,
>and (c) the loop with an exit in the middle. I forget
>where the paper appeared, the name of the author, and
>the exact syntax.

It was "Structured Programming With Go To Statements", Knuth, Computing
Surveys, Vol. 6, No. 4, 1974, pp. 261-301 (unconfirmed).  I cited it in
another article in this thread.  The syntax was "loop" statements
"while" condition statements "end".
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess