little standalone windows game

Pete Shinners shredwheat at mediaone.net
Fri Jan 19 02:52:38 EST 2001

i've been hunting solutions to get standalone running
executables on windows. (hmm, not alone, am i?)

after finding that nothing works for 2.0, i went ahead
and started working out my own solution. i started with
the nice project by Neil Schemenauer for a standalone
python 1.5.

i took the work there and upped everything to work with
2.0, then threw my little pygame project into it to see
what happens.

the good news is it all works. it doesn't really turn
python into a single .EXE, but it does create a set of
files that can run your python code standalone.

the final installer for my test game, "Aliens" is here;
http://pygame.seul.org/ftp/Aliens_Setup.exe

it sounds like enough people are interested in something
like this. i'm planning to release a 'skeleton' version of
this type of package so anyone can release a python program
like this. this solution isn't too pretty for small little
utilities, but for bigger projects it seems to balance a
bit nicer.

unix users aren't in the cold, the aliens example is included
with the pygame install. more info at http://pygame.seul.org