Python 3000. Here we go again.

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sun Jan 14 23:10:57 EST 2001

[Roy Katz]
> Let's open healing wounds.
> I've looked around on python.sourceforge.net and python.org but I
> still can't find any official reference to Python 3000.

P3K is just a cute name for "what might happen someday".  It really doesn't
have a concrete meaning beyond that.

> - has anyone been thinking about a new design for Python?

Compared to Guido, many <wink>.  My *belief* is that reality will force
Guido and his team to stick with incremental change; a total "flag day"
redesign looks increasingly unlikely.

> - is there any moderated forum specifically for Py3k brainstorming?

The Python world has no moderated forums at all, apart from
comp.lang.python.announce.  There's a Python-Dev mailing list whose archives
are readable (provided you can find them), but the only way to get on that
is to be invited by Guido, and the only sure way to get invited is to
establish a history of making solid contributions to Python development
(contributing amazing code, fixing insidious bugs, writing breathtaking
PEPs, ...).

> justification for my question in case I'm flamed again:

Hey, you're just asking questions.  I suppose that's damned good *reason* to
flame you, though!  Hmm.  I'll think about it.

> I want use static typing.  I want real class methods.  I want to
> be crazy and derive from an int. My programs could benefit from full
> lexical scoping. I *hope* any such rewrite retains case sensitivity
> (yes there are SIGs devoted to typing and scoping, but they don't
> necessarily relate to Py3k).

Contribute to the PEP process:  champion an idea and help make it happen:

    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/

Note that lexical scoping is the subject of PEP 227; as the page says, it
may even be part of Python 2.1.  But note too that if it is, it won't happen
because someone asked for it, but because someone wanted it enough to do all
the work (incl. a tasteful yet irresistible sales job).

a-lot-like-real-life-ly y'rs  - tim