mxTools (was Re: why no "do : until"?)

Simon Brunning SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 07:55:07 EST 2001

> From:	M.-A. Lemburg [SMTP:mal at lemburg.com]
> > As far as I can see, mxDateTime doesn't have restrictions in its license
> -
> > it's mxODBC which does.
> >
> > Is this right, Marc?
>
> Right.
>
> But please note that I wouldn't really want mxDateTime to go into
> the core: the reason is that the mx Extensions will soon be available
> as three packages under a new top-level package name "mx" -- I wouldn't
> want to rip mxDateTime out of that context.

Fair enough. (Which are the other two packages going into your forthcoming
'mx' package, and which are staying separate? And why 'mx', anyway? I've
always wanted to know that...)

> BTW, mxODBC v2.0 will then no longer be free for commercial use. I put
> a moderate license fee on it to at least produce some funding for mxODBC
> and the other mx Extensions  -- the old mxODBC license just didn't
> work out, so I had to take this step.

When is this going to happen, and how much is it going to cost? (You have
*no* *idea* how long it takes to get a purchase request through my
organisation!)

> mxODBC will still remain free for non-commercial use, e.g. for personal
> and non-profit organizations, and as before you get full source code
> with it, so you still have all the advantages of being able to adapt
> the code to your needs.

So I can play with it at home, but I have to pay for it if I use it for
work. Sounds fair enough.

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.