ActivePython2.0 - Server Side objects for ASP problem

Steve Williams sandj.williams at gte.net
Thu Jan 11 10:20:18 EST 2001

Steve Holden wrote:

> "Satheesh Babu" <vsbabu at erols.com> wrote in message
> news:93k6k5$1g7$1 at bob.news.rcn.net...
> [snip]

> > Making a COM object on the server is also beyond me.
>
> If you get a copy of Mark Hammond and Andy Robinson's "Python Programming on
> Win32" you'll be doing it before bedtime and thinking nothing of it.
> Seriously, it's a lot less complicated than you might imagine.

[snip]

Danger Will Robinson!!

You can, indeed, write and install a COM object on the server before bedtime,
but you might be up all night getting your client to talk to it.  Some pitfalls:

1)    The client doesn't have Python installed.  It uses MS Access or VB or
Excel or Word.  How do you register your COM server on the client?   Whose
classid/appid do you use?  Light a taper and go down into the regedit dungeon.

2)    When you try to use the COM object you get 'Permission Denied'.  Time to
read a ton of MS Q documents and maybe talk to an unfriendly and ignorant NT
administrator.

3)    When you try to use the COM object, you get 'ActiveX can't create. . .'.
Time for some more bedtime reading.

4)    Your client is a laptop manufactured in the Pleistocene era and needs
dcomcnfg and regsvr32. . .  Don't forget the service packs.

5)    You call your friends and they say "I've never had that problem, maybe you
should install MTS. . ."