Tabbing/Spaces

Johann Hibschman johann at physics.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 19 19:17:13 EST 2001

Robin Becker writes:

> In article <mtzogn9rpx.fsf at astron.berkeley.edu>, Johann Hibschman
> <johann at physics.berkeley.edu> writes
>> Robert L Hicks writes:
>> Well, a "tab stop" is defined to be equal to 8 spaces.  However, on
> Well, I define my tab stops and I make them equal to 4 spaces. Using
> tabs allows me to alter all indents at once. Also quicker at travelling
> back and forth across slow networks.

Would you prefer if I said that a "tab" was defined to be 8 spaces?
Regardless of how you display them, python defines a tab to increment
to the next 8-space boundary.

Shrug.  Whatever suits you best, I guess.  I just hate getting all-tab
code, since then I have to re-indent it for it to be readable.
All-space code, on the other hand, always looks fine.

Johann Hibschman                           johann at physics.berkeley.edu