invalid-token syntax hook (was Re: Hack request: rational numbers)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 09:33:52 EST 2001

Jeff Epler wrote:
> Why not go all the way and make the whole Python grammar extensible
> in Python?

and went on to announce

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mobiuspython/

Ooh! Ooh! I have two immediate reactions:

1. What a great idea - I can *use* that (when I ever get back to the
mxTextTools preprocessor - an extension to the language is *so* much
more elegant than a preprocessor - and there's something fun about using
Spark to parse code to allow one to use mxTextTools)

2. What a scary idea - would I ever trust anyone (possibly including me)
to use that?

I'll be very interested to know what the BDFL thinks (although I guess
that I can guess).

(adds another thing to the large list of
Things-I'd-like-to-play-with/do-in-my-spare-time, unfortunately aware
that this will be item, um, about 97, with a realistic chance of the
first, well, about 3, ever getting done)

Tibs

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"