Migrating to perl?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 11:33:25 EST 2001

"Issac Trotts" <trotts at llnl.gov> wrote in message
> It's not clear that "migrating" is the best way to look at this.
> Python has various strengths and weaknesses that complement
> those of Perl and other languages.  For instance, Python's OO support
> is much cleaner than Perl's, but Perl is better suited for various
> scripting tasks.

I don't agree on the latter sentence, though I've heard such
thoughts expressed often.  When I first took up Python, one
thing I did was recode in Python _all_ the Perl scripts I had
(and I had a *lot*), and in no case did I notice any problem
showing Perl to be 'better suited'.  I'm told there may be
some performance advantages to Perl in some cases, but in my
scripting tasks I never noticed problems with Python's speed;
I guess your mileage may vary on this!

Alex