adding the XML to 2.0 to be a mistake?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jan 19 08:09:03 EST 2001

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> writes:

> Duplicating complex code in two different projects, so that they have
> to be kept in sync manually at the cost of time and effort, is the
> mistake.

It would be a problem if nobody was willing to keep the two files in
sync. However, I've synchronized the two a number of times in the past
few months; using CVS, this is not a big deal to me. There was only
one critical overlap, when two people independently contributed a
normalize() method. As it turned out, neither implementation was
correct initially, so we could merge the best ideas of either
approach.

> Another one is tying a fast-moving project such as PyXML to
> the slower releases of Python; Python 2.0 was released on October 16,
> and there have been two PyXML releases (0.6.2 and 0.6.3) since then.

Why is that a mistake? My main goal for releasing so many releases of
PyXML was to find out problems in the Python 2.0 xml code, so that
Python will get improved versions.

I believe I would not have found the pyexpat memory leaks if I hadn't
released versions that did fix some leaks, after which people would
come up with examples where additional leaks show up.

Regards,
Martin