Unicode pb in Python 2.0 solved - no thanks to WinPython

Jurie Horneman jhorSPAMBGONneman at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 29 03:20:24 EST 2001

(Again at the risk of exposing my newbie status...)

I have solved my Unicode problem by changing sitecustomize.py as suggested
in this newsgroup. However, it took me about two hours to get that working.
Why?

- I changed sitecustomize.py. When I launched my program in WinPython, my
Unicode problem was still there. No error messages anywhere. I resorted to
debugging by printing messages - NOTHING.
- I then changed site.py to see if it could actually import
sitecustomize.py. None of my changes - printing messages again - had any
effect.
- I listed the imported modules and noticed that the compiled version of
site.py had been used. So I removed that, hoping my new version would be
recompiled properly. NADA.
- I launched my script using plain ol' Python, without WinPython. Voila! It
launched my site.py, which told me I had a syntax error in the first (print)
statement of sitecustomize.py. I had indented the first line - normal for C
/ C++, bad in Python. Told you I was a newbie...
- I got the thing working in 1 minute, reran it in WinPython, and everything
worked fine.

I would very much like to "RTFM", and believe me I tried, but there isn't
much M to FR. How could I have avoided this problem with less agony? Should
I report the bug to the authors of WinPython?

--
Jurie Horneman
Opinions expressed are my own
jhorSPAMBGONneman at wanadoo.fr