Web devel with python. Whats the best route?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 04:41:44 EST 2001

"Moshe Zadka" <moshez at zadka.site.co.il> wrote in message
    [snip]
> Another affirmative for my "every Python programmer wrote a web
> development framework. Sometimes two."

Except that YAPTU isn't (a 'web development framework') -- it's
a small templating utility.  It becomes part of web development
if you use it to produce HTML to be output from (e.g.) a CGI
script, just like, say, the '+' operator becomes part of such
a framework if you're using it to concatenate two strings in
the relevant context.  Then you switch template files, and out
comes a CSV presentation textfile (from the same Python script
that produces a certain table of results), ready to pump into
your favourite DB or spreadsheet program; switch again, and a
Postscript file ready for printing could be the output -- each
of these _might_ have something to do with the web, but it's
a bit more likely to be used more locally.

> For those who need the reference: "Every scheme programmer wrote
> an object system. Sometimes two."
>
> Equivalents for C/C++/Perl/Java would be appreciated <wink>

C++ => memory management framework (most likely reference
        counted, of course); this one's too easy:-).

Alex