Random and whrandom

Michael Ackerman ack at simplyweb.net
Tue Jan 23 19:13:40 EST 2001

I happen to recall a reference to this problem. In 'Functional C' by
Hartel & Muller, they write (p.3): "The theory of random number
generators tells us that it is incorrect to use alternate numbers from
one random number generator to generate the values of two dice (Jain,
1991). Instead, two independent random generators must be used." (Do
they mean _any_ random number generator?) The reference is to R. Jain's
'The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis', publ. John Wiley, to
which I don't have access.

-- Michael