Migrating to perl?

Joel Ricker joejava at dragonat.net
Fri Jan 5 01:05:35 EST 2001

Gerhard Häring wrote in message <3A555E34.3E01E4D0 at bigfoot.de>...
>Joel Ricker wrote:
>I guess it really depends on the
>backround you have. If you are a Unix guru and speak awk and sed as a
>native language, then perhaps Perl is what you will love.

Nope I don't.  I'm still trying to make heads or tails of unix.  I have a
telnet connection to my web server which is Linux and fumble around
everytime I have to "inside".

>If you have a
>background from structured programming (Pascal!) or object-oriented
>programming (Ada 95, Java, C++), then Python might be just the scripting
>language you ever dreamed of.

Pascal! Pascal was my first love.  Any comparisons to Python to Pascal will
be just what I'm looking for.

[*snip*]

>If you need some links, here they are:
>
>The Python tutorial:
>http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

Working on it right now.  I'll let everyone know how it goes.
>Python and databases:
>http://www.python.org/topics/database/

>> Perl OO just feels like it has been cludged together.
>
>Really? ;-) Or am I just too stupid to get it?

>From the responses, I feel better that it just isn't me.  I felt like for
every perl concept I'd learn, I'd forget two or get them wrong.  The other
day I was just programming along when I was like damn, how did that hash
syntax go?  .

Thanks
Joel

P.S.  Anybody want to buy about 6 perl books cheap? <wink>