python compiled to native in less than a year?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Jan 16 18:53:22 EST 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:941koq077o at news1.newsguy.com...
> "jason petrone" <jp at NOSPAMdemonseed.net> wrote in message
> news:n7vv39.r1f.ln at demonseed.net...
> > Giuseppe Bilotta <oblomov at freemail.it> wrote:

[ attempts to gain insight into MS' future behavior]

> What's ASF?  Also, _are_ patents incompatible with standards?  I thought,
> for example, the MPEG group did standardize on a patent-covered format for
> the now-very-popular MP3 files, and indeed some German public-sector body
> is now trying to cash in on the patent they hold.  So what might stop MS
> from getting a patent _after_ some standards group (ECMA maybe?) blesses
> their IL.  Not trying to fuel paranoia -- I'd *love* it if a standard did
> emerge for a bytecode such as IL -- just trying to understand...

I suspect that disclosure through the standardization process would cause
patent applications to fail onthe grounds of "prior art". Apparently Arthur
C. Clark described the geosynchronous satellite in concept in the British
magazine "Wireless World", and this was enough to ensure that he was refused
a patent on it later.

the-ibm-journal-of-disclosure-is-to-stop-*other*-people-patenting-ibm's-idea
s-ly y'rs  - steve