How do you lock your web app data?

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Wed Jan 31 04:59:47 EST 2001

In article <956uqd$6st$1 at newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net>, "Franz
GEIGER" <fgeiger at datec.at> writes:

| Of course I could take a database as backend but I wonder if there are other
| possibilities to achieve that "serialization"? How do you do it? Do you
| always use a database? Is it worth the effort doing it without a database?

i use dbm and shelve a lot, and fcntl.flock(). it's much less painful
than a rdbms if your needs are simple. otoh, it can be plenty
painful if you discover you'd actually needed a "real" dbms after all...

an "issue tracker" would probably fall in the "needs a real dmbs"
category. you could use zodb or a sql rdbms.

  -- erno