Python Design Patterns (was Re: Should I learn Python or Java?)

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Thu Jan 11 21:11:26 EST 2001

A very readable patterns introductory book is:

"A UML Pattern Language" by Paul Evitts.
300 pages 1 edition (February 2000)
Amazon price = $40.00

Macmillan Technical Publishing; ISBN: 157870118X
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/157870118X/hallbook/107-8994515-32589
04

He does not overevangelaize a 'one and only true path to enlightenment'.
Rather the book engages the reader to folow the key ideas against a
historical development of key concepts.
Illustrated with good examples, concise writing style and an open
exploratory attitude.

Another highly recommended book is:

Pattern Languages of Program Design 4 (Software Patterns Series)
by Neil Harrison (Editor), Brian Foote (Editor), Hans Rohnert (Editor)

Amazon Price: $42.95
Paperback - 784 pages 1 edition (December 17, 1999)
Addison-Wesley Pub Co; ISBN: 0201433044
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201433044/qid=979264577/sr=1-4/ref=s
c_b_4/107-8994515-3258904

This is an excellent lively anthology inclding some great shor section
editorials.
I wodl say htis vlume is more readily adapted to immediate Python
programming because so many of the examples are so good.
The book presentes a very instructive array of authors, approaches and
levels of analysis, which in my world translates into more useful.
It is a better bang for the buck, not becuaes it is fatter but because it is
richer in scope.

Botha are general non-cod oriented books which makes htem suitabel as much
for python as any other.

Please, let me know if you find a Python specific Patterns book.
I susepct none exist and think it coudl be an excellent idea:

"Experiments in Design Patterns with Python"
..anyone ??

- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']