Python: what's the best way to copy files on a LAN?

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Wed Jan 24 11:29:28 EST 2001

In article <3a6f0af0.272878461 at news.interchange.ubc.ca>,
kmbotha at netinfo.ubc.ca (Kris Botha) writes:

| I mean security-wise. I'd like to use FTPLIB but am hesitant about the
| security issues involved in using that plain-text protocol.

scp works pretty well, if all your hosts run sshd.

the python 2.0 socket library has ssl support. but
there is no documentation, and unless you can figure out
what sort of incantations you are supposed to do
to make it work securely you should probably avoid it.

the httplib.HTTPS class seems to know of arguments
called cert_file and key_file... anyone know how these
work?

in pk systems you generally need a public key and a private
key. and then you need to have the other ends public key.
in ssl there's also a concept of certificate authorities
that's a little like pgp's web of trust but suckier ( ;) ).
could it be that the "key" file hods your public and private
keys and "cert" holds your list of certificate authorities?

  -- erno