simple threads kill my IDLE

Henning VON ROSEN hvrosen at world-online.no
Fri Jan 26 03:18:51 EST 2001

While playing around width threads executing either interactively or from
the editmode by "f5", in many cases IDLE froze and forced me to restart it.

Have anyone experienced such problems?

Is this a general problem of Tkinter? of IDLE? or probably just a newbie
miscoding?

The same things worked fine when executed outside IDLE, in  a DOS window.

from threading import *
class adi(Thread):
 def run(self):
  e = Event()
  cheno = "Hello"
  for litero in cheno:
      print litero,
      e.wait(.2)
a=adi()
a.start()
b=raw_input('go on')

It just prints out the letters one by one
it works in DOS-window but kills IDLE/Tkinter.
Not every time, though, nut it does produce the first letter of the string
"H", in a fashion that it ends up last in the printing.

Anyway I am new to threads, so maybe I did it the wrong way!

So what shall I do:
1) Avoid threads and IDLE in combination
2) Purchase PythonWorks
3) Just execute in DOS Windows (If there is a bug, these ugly windows dies
off, leaving me without feddback error messages! How do I solve that?)
4) Migrate to Linux

Most thankful for any hints

amike via Henning VON ROSEN