Python Design Patterns (was Re: Should I learn Python or Java?)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at effbot.org
Fri Jan 12 02:39:26 EST 2001

Daniel Klein wrote:
> Since you mention it, what is the pythonic way to implement a Singleton?

alternative 1: create exactly one instance when initializing
a module, and store the instance in the module namespace

alternative 2: same, but use a factory function to create
the object when it's first asked for.

any other attempts to implement singletons are unpythonic.

> You don't have to provide a complete answer, just a pointer as to where to
> start would be fine as I like to try to work these things out at first for myself.

see

    www.deja.com => "singleton ~g comp.lang.python"

for more background.

Cheers /F