How robust is Python ?

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Sat Jan 6 12:54:21 EST 2001

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001, rturpin at my-deja.com wrote:

> In theory, that's an application flaw, rather than a
> bug in the compiler or libraries. In practice, good
> software engineering produces C/C++ programs that
> very rarely dereference bad pointers. It's harder
> and more work than development with Python.

I have programmed in C/C++ and I know what I'm talking about. *Of course*
you can have long running processes in C/C++: take things like Linux,
which run for years with no problems. I'm just saying that making a C/C++
app which runs without problems is much harder, so I would be less inclined
to trust C in that role. Of course, other factors may decide the problem
for me, such as in...

> Keep in mind that Python *is* a C program.

I know that. It's one of the few C programs which are being debugged daily
by thousands of people around the world, with a very mature code base.
I doubt many companies can expect to achieve this level of robustness
for their apps.
--
Moshe Zadka <sig at zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.