Translating a Perl script into Python

Carel Fellinger cfelling at iae.nl
Sat Jan 20 17:47:16 EST 2001

My ISP is having problems with its feed so I'm a little late to react
and there is only one little thing for me left to nitpick:(

Sheila King <sheila at thinkspot.net> wrote:

for this piece of code

>   print PROC "$key = $ENV{$key}\n";

you used

> 	PROC.write(key + " = " + os.environ[key] + "\n")

whereas I often prefer (the (to me atleast) more Pythonic)

        PROC.write("%s = %s\n" % (key,os.environ[key])

and yet in some circumstances even the more elaborate variant

        PROC.write("%(key)s = %(value)s\n" % {key:key, val:os.environ[key]})

The latter form comes very close to the Perl way of coding, and
is espescially suited for format strings spanning several lines.
--
groetjes, carel