names

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 15 05:31:34 EST 2001

"Elliott Chapin" <echapin at sympatico.ca> writes:

> How can I get the name of an object as a string? As a biginner I might
> imagine something like

> 'b'

>From http://www.amk.ca/quotations/python-quotes.html:

   The same way as you get the name of that cat you found on your
   porch: the cat (object) itself cannot tell you its name, and it
   doesn't really care -- so the only way to find out what it's called
   is to ask all your neighbours (namespaces) if it's their cat
   (object)...

   ....and don't be surprised if you'll find that it's known by many
   names, or no name at all!
                                          Fredrik Lundh, 3 Nov 2000

one of many quotes that should really be memorised by everyone
associated with Python....

Cheers,
M.

--
  And then the character-only displays went away (leading to
  increasingly silly graphical effects and finally to ads on