How to extend sys.path on Win9x permanently?

Mark Pilgrim f8dy at my-deja.com
Tue Jan 30 13:45:04 EST 2001

In article <3A7671A2.30478E8C at engcorp.com>,
  Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Martin Bless wrote:
> >
> > Python20, Win98, PythonWin
> >
> > (1) I'd like   Python.exe/DOS    AND   Python in PythonWin   to start
> > up  with an extended sys.path, having my own lib added,  as if a
> > sys.path.append('c:\\mylib') had already been performed.
> > How can I add the extra path permanently?
>
> Note certain, but it's likely that site.py is imported even under
> PythonWin.  If that's true, and it should be easy to test, just
> create a file in your Python directory with an extension .PTH,
> and place within it the name of the directory you want added
> to sys.path.

Just confirmed that this does work under PythonWin (at least ActiveState's
port).

Step-by-step instructions for Windows: - Find your base Python directory.
The default is C:\Python20. - In this directory, create a new text file
called something like "my.pth".  Name doesn't matter, but the ".pth"
extension does. - In this file, enter the full path of your scripts
directory, e.g. c:\mylib.  If you have more than one, list them each on their
own line.  Do *not* use double-backslashes ("c:\\mylib" is wrong); this is
not a Python string, it's just a text file.  (I made this mistake. ;-) - Quit
and re-run PythonWin.  "import sys; print '\n'.join(sys.path)" to make sure
your directory is listed.

-M
--
You're smart; why haven't you learned Python yet?  http://diveintopython.org/