Web devel with python. Whats the best route?

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Mon Jan 8 20:52:53 EST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:46:13 +0100, "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> CGI.  Really.  Your admin system doesn't look like the kind of thing that
> will be continuously getting multiple hits a second, making CGI overhead
> a problem.  If that is the case, CGI is easiest.  *Do the simplest thing
> that can possibly work*!

CGI is not an answer. Perhaps you meant "CGI with lots of little
print '<HTML>' this and print '<BODY>' that", which is as far from
the simplest thing that could possible work as possible. Most Python web
frameworks work just fine from CGI (PSP, WebWare, and even Quixote, I think).
Those are answers, and very good ones.
Perhaps even CGI+HTMLgen is an answer, though this might depend on
personal taste.

Of course, the simplest thing that can possible work interface-to-the-browser
part is of course not even going with CGI, but with inheriting from
BaseHTTPRequestHandler. Connecting that to something like PSP you
get a cross-platform solution which is very easy. Connecting it to ZODB
may be the final piece of the puzzle -- with ZODB and a dash of cookies,
state management becomes so easy you'll wonder how you did without
it.

Of course, to be true to the Python tradition, take the
PSPHTTPRequestHandler+ZODB and join the egroup mailing list for Python
web frameworks developers.

using-mod_perl+HTML::Mason-and-hating-it-myself-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <sig at zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.