Python and postgreSQL ??

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Thu Jan 25 09:36:09 EST 2001

In article <slrn96uhcq.1u1.isard at localhost.localdomain>,
Carles =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sadurn=ED?= Anguita <sadurni_mira_la_firma at jazzfree.com> wrote:
>I've search unsuccessfully a tutorial about "attack" postgreSQL with Python.
>Can anybody help me?
>
>I would like to write a little program (python/tkinter) for a friend of mine
>who wants to mantain data about his costumers and who has no time to learn
>too much about computers.

You may want to check out Zope (http://www.zope.org).  Zope is a web
application framework that has pretty good support for PostgreSQL (you
have to add an extra module (well, package) that you can get from the
web site.).

The Tutorial that comes with Zope shows how to create a
database-backed application.

This would give you a web-based application, rather than an X
application, which may or may not be ok.

NB: The tutorial that comes with pygresql is mostly a transliteration
of the PostgreSQL tutorial, rather than an example of how to use
pygresql in an application.

NB2: There are at least two Python<->PostgreSQL interfaces.  The one
that comes with Postgresql and one called (Get this!) PoPy.

     http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=popy

Should do the trick.

NB3: There is now a postgresql book!  Check amazon.com for details

-- cary