PSU uses emacs?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Fri Jan 19 13:25:49 EST 2001

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 05:55:45PM +0100, Alex Martelli wrote:

| > Any other tips for using gvim with Python?
|
| Use blank lines cleverly to delimit logical blocks, so { and } are
| useful movement-commands -- also increases readability.  Would be
| nice to have movement commands based on indent-levels, but, to be
| quite honest with you, I've never bothered programming them...

I'd like this too.  In C/C++/Java it is nice to type "%" to jump
between begin and end of blocks.

| (shame's about to engulf me...).  I like :set expandtab always
| on -- no tab/space confusion; I also like :set ff unix, so that my
| scripts can be shared between Win and Unix machines (and why
| waste one byte per line to tell a 'carriage' that is not there
| to 'return' [to where?]...?!-).

Exactly.  DOS/Windows never did operate from a teletype did it?  I
suppose no one will ever figure out why a system that began on the
teletype (Unix) doesn't use the extra character and a system that
didn't (DOS/Windows) does.

| Oh, and the key tip for gvim under Win98 - the quoting character
| is NOT control-V (they used that for 'paste' to follow Win
| conventions) -- it's control-Q instead.  So to remove those
| silly control-M (carriage-return) that using some other editor
| may have inserted, :%s/^Q^M// is what one types (with ^ to mean
                      ^

What does the % mean here?  I usually use :g/^V^M/s/// (working on NT
or in cygwin's console vim).

-D

PS.  Alex: I'll be at my other job tonight,  I'll check what version
of AIX they use.  The terminals are 315x I think.  (from the "Python
in Industry" thread)  Your info about IBM's history was interesting.