mxTools (was Re: why no "do : until"?)

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Tue Jan 9 20:32:48 EST 2001

Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> What percentage of modules really needs mxDateTime? The answer is of
> course 0% or 100% depending on your point of view. The cup is too full
> for me and too empty for you.

<soapbox>

hmmm... let's consider for a moment neither you nor I..
What about all the newcomers to Python, as beginining programmers, kids,
students, newbies,
immigrants from other languages..? What sanity it would be to arrive in
Pythonia, where DateTime() is actually corresponds to the scope of
historical time, instead of some *nixed no-life before 1970!

Any kind of datetime needs [beyond system timestamping of files or message
packets]
needs mxDateTime(). Any use concerning people and not machine prblems,
including even basics like date of birth. Anyone over the age of 30+ is out
luck. Let's see that is maybe 2-3 billion people?

mxDateTime() gets it right the first time. It allows for sane administering
of all kinds of historical, scientific, statistical, medical, geographic,
demographic and business data......Or how about wonderful extended features
of mxDateTime for easier design of more intuitive and useful calendar
applications.

Don't like, don't see the need for them now.. don't worry don't use them. It
won't break your code, but it will fix all the code you or someone else is
going to have to write as temporal-spatial indexing of data becomes more
aand
more widespread. Even Multimedia, SMIL etc is better with these tools. This
is a really basic data type. Why screw it up when a good solution is
available.

How is Python ever going to really succeed in schools if you can't handle
even basic \History tables with it?

The current systems used are broken - they are simply not people-oriented.

I understood that Python was developed for people to work easily together.
To be readable, portable etc.. To help one thing clearly about problems aand
then solve them.
The approach in mxDateTime is clearly an essential enhancement to this and
belongs in the core

> If the leadership gives way on one then it sets a precedent for others.

nonsense. This forum is sophisticated enough to debate the merits directly
without being dogged by thin GWBushwacked precedent arguments.
</soapbox>

- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']