Web devel with python. Whats the best route?

Paul Boddie paulb at infercor.no
Fri Jan 12 10:35:22 EST 2001

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Yes, some kind of markers are necessary. In Zope, DTML does that job,
> but since DTML, though it can be nice, has also been called "Perl for
> the web" due too far too much magic, various people at Digital
> Creations and Hiperlogica are experimenting with another approach to
> this, called HiperDOM. Its approach is interesting:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/HiperDom/PrototypeDocumentation
>
> The idea is that instead of custom tags, things happen in XHTML
> attributes, and each template can be a full web page by itself too,
> editable by WYSIWIG tools, as long as those tools leave the extra
> attributes intact.

That sounds a bit like the XMLC stuff which the Enhydra people use:

  http://www.enhydra.org

Still, DTML is nice for "reflecting" the contents of data structures without
developers needing to write code to transform the document template before it
gets sent to the browser, which I think is necessary when presenting collections
of data elements (from lists, for example) with XMLC.

Regards,

Paul