python compiled to native in less than a year?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Fri Jan 19 12:44:59 EST 2001

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 06:21:17PM +0000, Paul Robinson wrote:

[snipp]
| .NET runtime. This, IIRC, is similar to what Python2C does, Python -> C
| with calls to C api.

This is what jythonc does.  It spits out a Java class (source) that
consists of calls to the interpreter runtime.  Your own Java compiler
is what actually creates the byte-codes, and the runtime (jython.jar)
is still needed to actually run your "Python as Java bytecode" stuff.

Aside from a potential performance degradation (I haven't tested it,
but ...) it's not such a bad design.  It follows the KISS prinicple.
(ie. don't re-invent python's operations to fit the Java object model,
instead just interpreter the instructions as normal)

-D

BTW,  I've heard several references to C# on this list, with a high
concentration on this thread.  Where can I find some sort of (short)
docs that describe what C# is?  (an intro or overview type of thing)