python compiled to native in less than a year?

Roy Katz katz at Glue.umd.edu
Mon Jan 15 11:11:16 EST 2001

Scott,

the problem with Python compilation is optimization;  you can "freeze" a
python program into an executable even now.  I heard it somewhere that
compiled Python would consist of nothing more than calls to Python's C
API.  Granted, that shaves off the interpreter layer, but you're still
going through the P-API.  I suspect it is the same way in JPython
(given that JPython implements the Python API in Java, am I right? (?))..

/R