Silly question from a newbie

Phlip phlip_cpp at my-deja.com
Tue Jan 9 17:59:00 EST 2001

Geoffrey Schneider wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This probably seems like a pathetic question, but...
>
> I downloaded the 'Grail' browser made with Python.... but, being someone
> who only just heard of Python 2 days ago, I don't know how to start the
> Grail browser. How do I open it? There isn't a .exe file or something like
> that (which, being a dumb-ass Windows user for six years I'm used to
> having provided).

Insert a sound sample of Tim the Sorceror here: "You seek the ... GRRRAIL??"

Open a console (what some call the "dos box").

CD to the directory containing Grail.py and enter this command:

        c:\blah\blah> grail.py

If your installer didn't suck, it associated the .py file extension with
Python. If your OS didn't suck, it would read the association when you try
to "execute" the file name.

If all this fails, just type a little more. Don't worry; you won't get RSI
just by typing this much:

        c:\blah\blah> python grail.py

You could also use Windows Exporer, find the grail.py file, and
double-click on it.

> I'm using the Python for Windows thingy, as I don't have UNIX (apart from
> Linux, which I ordered from Amazon.com, but hasn't arrived yet!).

You'v done a courageous thing just coming here, and we are all here to
support you. Admitting you have a problem is the first, biggest step to
recovery.

--
Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PhlIp