curly-brace-aphobic?

Remco Gerlich scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
Tue Jan 30 20:03:15 EST 2001

D-Man <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote in comp.lang.python:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 01:38:37AM +0000, Remco Gerlich wrote:
> | An essential difference is the fact that lists are ordered, but dicts aren't.
>
> In my Discrete Mathematics II class we discussed Partial Ordering
> quite a bit.  If you take this perspective, then lists aren't really
> orderd any more than a dict is.
>
> A Partial Ordering is formed by creating a mapping between the
> objects you have and a set of objects that already have a known
> partial ordering (often the set of integers).  In this view, a list is
> simply a mapping from the integers to arbitrary objects and vice
> versa.   So sorting a list is really nothing more than altering you
> concept of that mapping.

This is like saying that a program isn't really a block of ascii text; it is
a function on some subset of the positive numbers to the set [0,127].
Making changes to a program is simple altering that mapping.

It may be true, but I don't see the point of looking at it like that...

unless-you're-thinking-about-code-obfuscation-by-fourier-transform-ly-y'rs,

--
Remco Gerlich