Should I learn Python or Java?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 03:41:01 EST 2001

"Martijn Faassen" <m.faassen at vet.uu.nl> wrote in message
news:938o49$fj6$1 at newshost.accu.uu.nl...
    [snip]
> > 2.  Is going from object-based to object-oriented programming that huge
> > jump?   I want to learn an OO language, however I plan on utilizing it
in my
> > career.
>
> OO concepts such a polymorphism are pretty important, and I'm not entirely
> sure if VB supports it (though I heard it is fully OO now, so it should
now,
> and there's COM of course). Anyway, OO concepts in the context of Python

The "fully OO" (==supports single inheritance of implementation) version of
VB is the .NET one, which (although it supports COM via 'bridges' that come
with the .NET framework) is not COM-oriented.  Anyway, current VB does
polymorphism via interfaces (which are really COM interfaces) and the verb
'implements' (same as Java, though Java, like VB.NET, also gives you single
inheritance of implementation; but that's just a convenience when you are
implementing an object, not the languages' main road to polymorphism).

Alex