Thank you (was Re: Should I learn Python or Java?)

Doug Ball doug at postsmart.net
Mon Jan 8 15:49:00 EST 2001

Dear Peter and list:

Peter you mentioned in a posting:

"I don't think I know of any language without warts, and
I think there's a theory (from Hofstadter? (sp?)) that
says you can't have a theory that is both consistent and
complete."

I am a big fan of such things and was excited to see you mention it.
However I think you may be referring to Godel's Theorem.

If anyone is interested in this topic there is an excellent book entitled
"Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas R. Hofstadter.  In
his book, Dr. Hofstadter  restates Godel's theorem as: " All consistent
axiomatic formulations of number theory include undecidable propositions."

Thanks again for bringing it up!

Doug