Why no isexec, isread, iswrite, etc (was: I must be missing something obvious: os.path.isexecutable?)

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Fri Jan 19 09:47:05 EST 2001

On 19 Jan 2001 00:29:44 -0500, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:
>I'm sure it wouldn't be too terrible to spec out something that is
>well-defined and augment the module.  But it's also not too much
>effort to just stat the file (which is going to happen anyway) and
>then apply the heuristic that you want in your particular situation.

    I'm not sure I agree that "Well, what should be done" and "this is how it
works anyway" are good reasons to have 1/2 an example.  I certainly wasn't the
first to look for those under os.path after seeing the other "is"es there.
Define a behavior and do it /or/ somehow provite a pointer in the
documentation from those obvious starting points for the common functionality
to the stat macros.

    Bah, I'll look into trying to define behavior and see how to implement it,
though.  Good project to keep me busyin Python.  :)