Interested in a Crypto-SIG?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Jan 27 14:14:03 EST 2001

"A.M. Kuchling" wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:09:55 +0100,
>         Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> wrote:
> >I would like to propose a Crypto-SIG. The goal is to define Pythonic
> >class APIs for various cryptographic and related standards to enable
> >developers to use a unified API for implementing crypto-enabled
> >applications in Python independent of the underlying implementations
> >(basically inspired by Sun's Java crypto-related APIs).
>
> Are you the same person who proposed this yesterday on the Meta-SIG?

No. But good to know that I'm not the only one. ;-)

> Anyway, I'll give you the same answer: a unified API would be an
> excellent idea, but a SIG seems unnecessary.  There's already a
> python-crypto list at egroups which could be used to coordinate work
> on such a unified API

The mailing list on egroups could be a start. But I would prefer
something which looks more "official" and is tied closer to Python
activities itself. I'm willing to act as a SIG-coordinator.

> and the main issue is probably developer time.

Yes. But everybody can save time if it's not necessary any more to
reinvent wheel for every crypto package.

Ciao, Michael.