Questions on Python

Terry Hancock hancock at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 20 01:22:57 EST 2001

> Hi everyone,
>     I have never really programmed before but I'm very interested in it. My
> main goal is to be able to eventually program simple games to fool around
> with. I have read that Python is a good language to learn on because it
> makes learning other languages easier. I want to ask how should i go about
> learning this language? Should I read tutorials online (any good ones i
> should check out?) or buy some books (which ones?)? Is this language good
> for any programming goal or is it mainly for a certain area? What ways can i
> make learning this the easy? Thank you for replies =)

Online tutorial for first-time programmers at:

"Learning to Program" with Python:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/

(Also available as a book -- see
http://www.amk.ca/bookstore/python.html)

As for books of the paper variety, I recommend "Learning Python"
for getting started.  I really don't think you can beat the
reference materials available online (I consider them well above
average for open-source documentation -- I hope this is a trend :) ),
but you can purchase a printed version from the bookstore URL above.

Hope this helps!

I was originally persuaded to learn Python as an extension language
for a non-existant (but planned) game engine. :)  However, I have
found lots of other applications.  After some consideration of
the amazingly short learning curve, I've decided Python is the
language I would elect to teach first-time programmers.

--
Terry Hancock
hancock at earthlink.net