win32 DLL import problem

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Jan 29 15:06:33 EST 2001

"John J. Lee" <phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk> writes:

> I compiled multipack on NT with cygwin, with the -mno-cygwin switch, which
> is supposed to link against the same C run-time library as the python 2.0
> distribution itself, msvcrt.dll (which is there on the win95 machine)
> rather than the cygwin crtdll, so presumably that can't be the problem,
> but since I don't know which file it can't find, it's hard to say!  It
> does import okay on NT.

Since you've got cygwin, try using the cygcheck utility to check out
the DLL dependencies to ensure it uses what you think.  There's also a
tool that comes with the NT resource kit (and perhaps independently if
you search around) called "depends" that's a native Win32 dependency
checker.

Python just uses a Win32 LoadLibrary (or LoadLibraryEx, I forget) to
load the module, and if an underlying DLL dependency can't be resolved,
that level of detail isn't exported back through the API, so it's not
really Python's fault for not displaying a more concrete error message.

--
-- David