curses, python20/152, RH70/62, postgresql problems

dubal at my-deja.com dubal at my-deja.com
Thu Jan 18 10:44:49 EST 2001

Hello!

We are trying to develop a business application
for dumb terminals using python, curses and
postgresql.

First we tried to install the Beopen Py20 rpm on
RedHat 7.0. It looks for some old libs and
doesn't install.
We then tried to compile Py20 source on RH7. It
gives some LONG_BIT error and stops.
We then renamed /usr/bin/gcc to gcc.nogo and
renamed kgcc to gcc and tried to compile py20.
Got same error.
Has anyone found out a way to get py20 to work on
rh7?

We then read curses howto from python website and
started developing using the RH7's stock
python152.
We found following problems:
1. Color cannot be used because the required vars
are not available.
2. pads cannot be used as mentioned in howto.
3. getstr(x,y,len) does not allow the 3rd
argument (length)
Can anyone plese suggest any solutions to these?

We then abandon rh7 and go to rh62 with beopen
py20 rpm installed.
getstr works fine. Color vars are available but
we could not get the color to work.
Latest (7.0.3) postgresql rpms are also installed
on this machine.
This includes postgresql-python rpm supplied by
postgres site.
When we try to connect to postgres from python,
it produces following warning:
Python C API version mismatch for module _pg:
This python has API version 1009, modules _pg has
version 1007
How to fix this?
It seems to work after this warning. We checked
the pygresql site. It says their next version
will have py20 compatibility. Do you think it is
ok to use _pg with the version mismatch?

I read somewhare that curses do not have colors,
ncurses do. I see that ncurses is preinstalled on
rh. Does python have its own builtin curses or
does it use the one from separately installed rpm?
How to get the color to work?

Thanks for reading and TIA for any replies.
Dubal

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/