Migrating to perl?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 5 08:11:27 EST 2001

Joel Ricker <joejava at dragonat.net> wrote in message
news:V%c56.4648$of7.221797 at news1.atl...
> Wow, great answers for a probably frequent question.  Thanks everyone!
>
> Skip Montanaro wrote in message ...

[...]
> Sounds great.  Perl always seems to be very unix-centric which tends to
bug
> me.  Only one book I've gotten on Perl went for a cross-platform approach
> perl (Perl Black Book).  Another question.  I just downloaded Activestates
> build for Python.  I went there first since I've got accustomed to their
> services.  Is a good build?  As good as Pythonlabs?  Better?

ActivePython is pretty much the "BeOpen 2.0" release of Python plus the Mark
Hammond Win32 extensions, with the added bonus that the help files have been
munged into a Windows .chm (HTML help) file.  It's great stuff, and the only
distribution of 2.0 I've found necessary to install on Windows (given that
on Windows, unlike Unix, I don't compile Python from source).

> >Your comment about Perls multitude of contexts really rings true with me.
> >use Perl in the guise of Mason these days to maintain the Mojam.com
> website.
> >(Mason is great, by the way.  I just wish it used Python. ;-) A couple
> weeks
> >ago I thought I had all the reference stuff figured out, but then this
> >morning it all came crashing down on me (again).  Ah well, back to the
> >perlref manpage...
>

> No kidding.  I just but Object Oriented Perl by Damian Conway and I
thought
> I had the idea and concepts down and by the end of the third chapter it
all
> came crashing down.  Things are working that shouldn't and vice versa.  I
> probably need to take a look at the perlref manpage myself but I'm
> suspecting it may be the new build from Activeperl but I'm getting too
> fustrated to dig into it.  I could post for help but I already know the
> answer that I'll be given:
>
> perldoc perltoot

Well, you'll often get links to web pages in replies on this newsgroup, but
the "eat s**t and die, m*****f**ker"-style hostility observed in other
groups from time to time very rarely happens in c.l.py.  I did consider
posting such a response to your question (as a joke...) followed by some
helpful advice, but

a) it goes against the grain of this group, and I would have doubtless
needed asbestos pants myself then, and

b) I knew you'd get good advice from the many worthies who are the mainstay
of the group.

[...]
> Joel

By now you should be running Python happily.  I was a Perl user once, but
when I came to the object-oriented mess I said "blerch" and decided to look
for a sensible language.  I've found that, and more, in Python, and wouldn't
consider Perl nowadays.  This is NOT to say that Perl doesn't have its
uses -- as the timbot pointed out, it has "optimized the snot" out of r-e
pattern matching.  But it began to seem as though almost any random string
had meaning in Perl, and I don't have time for that sort of nonsense.

Good luck.

I-used-to-program-in-Perl-but-i'm-all-right-now-ly y'rs  - steve