PSU uses emacs?

Jürgen A. Erhard juergen.erhard at gmx.net
Fri Jan 26 16:54:47 EST 2001

>>>>> "Grant" == Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> writes:

    Grant> In article <94cktu$d9c$1 at news.wrc.xerox.com>, Mark Jackson wrote:

    >>> [...] Who designed DOS anyway, Gary Kildall wasn't it?

    >> That was CP/M, the 16-bit version of which was considered by
    >> IBM for their PC but not chosen.  MS-DOS was first licensed and
    >> then purchased by Microsoft from Seattle Computer Products.  It
    >> was written by Tim Paterson; heavy CP/M influence is evident,
    >> but it was far from a clone.  See Paul Ceruzzi, /A History of
    >> Modern Computing/.

    Grant> Looked like a clone to me.  Virtually identical FCB
    Grant> structure, BIOS entry point at 0x0005, same executable
    Grant> layout, etc. etc.

What I recall from the time is that (I heard then) there was a tool
(from Intel?) that could convert 8080 assembly code to 8086/88
assembly code.

So with a virtually identical OS (in the important things as you,
Grant, mentioned), application vendors could *very* easily port their
CP/M software to QDOS (recall that *then*, and especially on CP/M,
virtually all software was still being written in assembly).

Big win for all involved (except for the slow, "bloated" apps because
they were not adapted to the 8086 arch).

At least, that's my recollection...

Bye, J

PS: Does this all mean that I'm *OLD*?  ;-)

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard at gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html