Problems with Install

Ben Ocean zope at thewebsons.com
Sat Jan 27 10:07:03 EST 2001

At 07:33 AM 1/27/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>* Ben Ocean <zope at thewebsons.com>:
>
>[...]
> > I've run into this error while running *make*. D said it was due to an
> > error in the myreadline.o So I re-ran make and copied what printed to
> > screen. The myreadline.o stuff doesn't appear until the last few lines:
> >
> > In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
> >                   from ../Include/Python.h:59,
> >                   from myreadline.c:42:
> > /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> > make[1]: *** [myreadline.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/apache/vhosts/Python-1.5.2/Parser'
> > make: *** [Parser] Error 2
>
>I have encountered this type of error (No such file or directory).
>
>First check if /usr/include/linux/errno.h exists. If it doesn't, maybe you
>need to install the Linux kernel headers. Perhaps something like
>kernel-headers*.rpm?

It exists, but not with *linux* in the path

>if it *does* exist, you could try editing line 25 /usr/include/bits/errno.h
>changing it from
>
># include linux/errno.h

># include <linux/errno.h>

I couldn't find that statement. What I found was

# include <bits/errno.h>

which I changed every way I could (with *linux* without brackets, etc.). No
luck. Same error.

> > Just for fun I tried installing an rpm as you mentioned. The strangest
> > thing happened. When I got to the actual installation command, the darn
> > thing just vanished into thin air! running a whereis for python turns up
> > *nothing*! Oh, geez, what'd I do wrong?
>
>Maybe it installed python in a place that is off your path.

But I ran a *whereis python* and came up empty-handed! I appreciate any
more help you can give me.
BenO