Deployment woes (was: I will kill my Python)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri Jan 19 17:29:59 EST 2001

In article <WV0a6.745$eI2.252250 at ruti.visi.com>,
Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>In article <947r18$rdt$1 at news.online.de>, Nils Hensel wrote:
>
>>If an exe is your single concern then perhaps you should better stick with
>>VB.
>
>As if running an exe file generated by VB doesn't require that
>a whole slew of DLLs and other cruft be installed.  It's no
>different than Python.
			.
			.
			.
Is that true?  I thought the VB deployment was worse,
in that *those* DLLs seem more likely to degrade an
already-operational Win* host.

I should say this more carefully.  I think many of us
have the belief that installation of apparently inno-
cuous applications sometimes--often?--creates
insidious DLL conflicts which sclerose a previously
functional desktop.  Things start to get worse.  They
continue to deteriorate until the system is wiped
clean, and everything re-installed from scratch (and
then the cycle begins again).

I personally know of no tales of Python installations
having this bad effect.  I've experienced several my-
self that might be associated with a VB installation.

I defer to those with more certain knowledge.  I find
Win* habits too esoteric for my comprehension; that's
as definite as I can be.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net