Hack request: rational numbers

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 29 14:25:58 EST 2001

"Jaap Spies" <jaapspies at home.nl> wrote in message
news:3A745D6C.2EEA931 at home.nl...
> You are a mathematician? Me too.
> A lot of Python People are Mathematicians.
> Nevertheless "j" will do!

Me too, and j was initially a shock, but I have decided I like it better
for two reasons:

1. It is visually more distinctive than i (by hanging down where no numbers
dare to go) and therefore less apt to be confused with 1 (especially bad
when math profs hurredly write 1i on a blackboard and forget the dot).

2. It gets away from the mistaken notion that the second component of a
complex number is any more imaginary than the first.