[OT] Shared Libraries (was Re: Deployment woes (was: I will kill my Python))

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 11:57:45 EST 2001

Moshe Zadka:
 |experience. Here the situation differs between Unices as much as it does
 |between Windows and UNIX, and has nothing to do with the implementation:
 |even different distribution of Linux handle it with varying quality.
 |
 |Basically, the problem is thorny, the solution is hairy, and the only
 |saving grace of Linux is that the packages have concepts of dependancies.

Have you worked with Sun's, SGI's, or FreeBSD's package managers?

 |Other Unices seldom get much software installed on them: either
 |commercial software ... or GNU software, ... with libraries being few and
 |far between.

I can't speak to your experience, but I can say that in mine this is most
definitely false.  I've worked in a number of predominantly Solaris and
predominantly IRIX shops.  There has always been much commercial software
installed (as you might suspect), most of which isn't even available for
Linux.  As well as bunches of open source/freeware/shareware
apps/utils/libs installed as well.  Most of it's been ported to the
common UNIXes.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at yahoo.com