How robust is Python ?

rturpin at my-deja.com rturpin at my-deja.com
Wed Jan 10 16:03:35 EST 2001

In article <3A5C72AB.BD43E182 at gssec.bt.co.uk>,
  Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk> wrote:
> .. most modern telephone switches are written in C++ and
> they run with "seven 9's" reliability, ie. 99.99999%
> uptime. It's an industry standard for public switches.
> .. But the software takes an age to develop, needs good
> CASE tool support combined with formal methods. ..

Coincidentally enough, I developed/managed/sold a CASE
product for embedded systems to companies that used it
for this purpose, among others. It did 100% C++ code
generation from formal OOA models, using a translation
framework that supported flexible definition of the
software architecture. We even had customers in the
UK and France. Rigorous memory managment is one of
the advantages of "implementation by translation".

The company I worked for thought the embedded/real-time
CASE market did not hold enough promise, and put its
focus into other areas. Likely a wise business decision.
Too bad, though, because the technology was top-notch.
I remember where-of you speak ..

Russell

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/